Emotional Logic is a personal development tool that can be used by people of all ages to build inner strength and improve emotional intelligence in difficult situations. It makes sense of unpleasant emotions and gives clear steps to move forward. Children and adults can use the Emotional Logic strategies to understand their own unpleasant emotions, to face life’s challenges, build emotional resilience and embrace change.
Emotional Logic is a practical tool that staff and children can use to help them understand their emotions and to find personal, values based solutions to difficult situations ranging from fall-outs in the playground to teenage upsets on social media to staff managing work/home life balance. More recently and moving forward post COVID, it is recognised that for many people, this episode has been a traumatic experience and that Emotional Logic can help them grow stronger and feel more able to influence the direction that their life takes.
Emotional Logic enables you to become trauma responsive. You will learn how to use a tool to help yourself and others move forward after going through traumatic experiences.
Four main areas which Emotional Logic can help:
- Know that emotions have useful purposes - unpleasant emotions are not part of the problem. They are part of the solution when you understand how they work together into a single, constructive adjustment process. Emotional Logic maps how to harness emotions into an action plan for positive change.
- Learn to use your emotions logically - it’s true that you only know what you’ve got when it’s gone. Loss emotions are unpleasant but, when understood, they give us vital information about our values and help us to make a plan to get back what’s gone or be able to let it go!
- Adjust to setbacks and embrace change - knowing you have something helpful to say and do means you don’t need to hide or wait for others to solve things. Change comes from within you, and benefits everyone.
- Empower yourself and build resilience - emotional intelligence builds inner strength, selfrespect, empathy and the capacity to make better decisions. This goes beyond resilience, to knowing how to adapt and bounce forward to develop your relationships and interests after disappointments, hurts and setbacks. This tried-and-tested strategy is a safe and strong foundation to rebuild on after disappointments, hurts and setbacks.
Questions to consider:
- Do you want to understand why you feel like you do?
- Would you like to feel calmer more quickly and more of the time?
- Do you want to know what to do when it has all gone wrong?
You can introduce Emotional Logic into your school by the routes below:
- Individual Student Support Sessions
- Staff / Parent Introduction Sessions
- Lesson Plan Training
- Integrating Emotional Logic into the Curriculum
- Foundation Award Training
- Facilitator Award Training
Emotional Logic teaches you how to move from Shock (anxiety) through Depression and into the Growth Cycle. It empowers people, builds inner strength and gives people hope. Learn how to design a personal, values based, solution focused action plan to move forward (see Lifecycle Diagram video via the link below).