Schools, Settings and Post-16
The C&I Team is a Specialist Support Service consisting of highly qualified and experienced Specialist Teachers, a Pre-5 Specialist and Specialist Support Assistants who support the work with children and young people who have autism and/or speech, language and communication needs (SLCN).
We work in partnership with schools and other settings to promote presence, participation and achievement and to secure better outcomes for children and young people with C&I needs across Devon. This is done through helping staff in schools and settings to understand the learning, emotional wellbeing and behaviour of children and young people to develop strategies to support them more effectively, enabling them to reach their potential.
The C&I Team works with learning communities, schools and settings as well as individual children and their families. Where possible, this is done in partnership with other agencies in health and social care.
The team also administers the Devon Inclusion Award for Communication and Interaction. Further details of this award can be found on our resources page.
As a Result of C & I Team Involvement
- Staff in schools/settings will be more able to meet the needs of children with C&I needs
- Schools/settings will increase in confidence so that children and young people with C&I needs are included and can achieve within their local mainstream school
- Parents/carers will gain a better understanding of the needs of their child and will have confidence that their needs are being met
- There will be increased participation and achievement for children and young people
- Schools and settings will build capacity through wider workforce development leading to an increase in local provision