We can offer training in all aspects of English for both primary and secondary schools. All of our training is tailored to the needs of the individuals or groups that we work with and can be a series of sessions, a whole day, half day or staff meeting. Alongside training sessions, we can also offer on-going focused projects for a school or group of schools. We are based in Devon so where suitable, some of our No Nonsense training can be undertaken via WebEx to make it more cost effective.
Please see the key areas of training we can offer. If what you are interested in is not there, please contact us to discuss your requirements.
Since working on our Developing Vocabulary project with schools in 2017/18, we are increasingly being asked for training in this area.
We can offer series of staff meetings, twilights, half- or full-day INSETs to schools or groups of schools, and are happy to provide tailor-made sessions to support as required. Contact us to discuss what might be best for you.
Effective teaching of grammar embedded in quality children's literature
This training focuses on the use of strong grammar subject knowledge and pedagogy to raise standards in writing and the end of KS2 Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling test. All of our grammar teaching is embedded within quality children's literature and focuses on the impact it makes on writing as well as the knowledge needed to teach it effectively.
Reciprocal reading is a way of teaching comprehension. It focuses on the four key skills of predicting, questioning, clarifying and summarising alongside discussion about how the children used their problem-solving stratgies to understand the text. This is a very well-researched method of teaching comprehension and provides teachers and teaching assistants with a toolkit of strategies to draw upon when teaching reading. It can be used for whole class teaching and with groups.
We offer training in all aspects of teacher assessment in reading and writing,
All the team are STA accredited moderators at KS1 and/or KS2 for statutory assessments. We can support individual and peer to peer moderation both in school and across schools and can verify school judgements in all year groups.
We have our own range of assessment tools, particularly for writing, and can offer training to schools in order that they make the best use of them,
Subject and Senior Leaders
We can offer training and support to subject and senior leaders in all aspects of raising standards in reading and writing. Areas that we are often asked to support are:
- auditing reading and/or writing and identifying next steps
- auditing the progress of particular groups, e.g. disadvantaged pupils or boys writing and identifiying next steps
- writing action plans
- in-school moderation of writing and identification of progress in writing
- planning alongside teachers
- training in all aspects of English for teaching assistants
- planning effective programmes of CPD
- evaluating the school's action plan and identifying impact of actions
- on-going support for a new subject leader
Spelling is an important part of writing, as reflected in the end of KS expectations. We can offer training which can cover all or some of the following areas:
- what makes for an effective spelling programme
- using assessment to drive teaching and learning
- concepts and core learning of the 2014 national currciculum
- strategies for learning spellings
- strategies at the point of writing
- strategies after writing
Getting Going with Teaching Sequences
We offer a comprehensive planning package, No Nonsense Literacy, and for those schools who have purchased it, we are able to offer training in making the best use of the planning. The first part of this training is Getting Going with Teaching Sequences and focuses on the basic ways in which schools can implement the sequences effectively across the school, how the sequences are structured and the purpose of each phase.
This training can be offered as a one-off session but schools often get greater impact if the training occurs over two sessions, allowing for a task inbetween.
This training can also be offered via WebEx for those schools who are futher away from us, making it very cost-effective training.
Moving on with Teaching Sequences
Once schools have become familiar with our teaching sequences and the way they work, the Moving on with Teaching Sequences is training that helps schools to make the most of them in terms of adapting them for the class to ensure that the children's needs are met.
This training can be delivered as a one-off session but schools get the most impact if it is delivered in two sessions with a task set inbetween. Teachers can then bring along the sequence and their children's writing to the second session to develop the sequences in greater detail.
For schools that are not based near us, we can offer this training via WebEx, making it cost-effective training.
No Nonsense Spelling, Grammar, Literacy and Number Facts via WebEx
The No Nonsense resources have been developed to offer teachers a comprehensive but accessible approach to the teaching of spelling, grammar, No Nonsense Literacy (teaching sequences and assessment for writing) and number facts. To complement these resources we have developed a range of training sessions to help you get the most out of your resources.
We can of course visit your school to deliver the training but often a more cost-effective method of doing this is to deliver the training via WebEx, a video-conferencing and screen sharing tool. This means that there are techinical requirements such as a screen/whiteboard, internet connected computer and a microphone. Full techinical details can be seen here.
No Nonsense Spelling introduces staff to the materials, concepts and approaches used in the programme. The training covers:
- the principles of teaching and learning in spelling
- teaching the lessons: content and strategies
- adapting the resources to meet your children's needs
- routines and resources for independent learning and ownership
No Nonsense Grammar introduces staff to the materials and will cover:
- the organisation of the resource
- effective pedagogy for teaching grammar
- strategies for adapting the resource in your classroom
- core subject knowledge
No Nonsense Literacy will:
- introduce the planning and assessment materials and support effective implementation
- develop a clear understanding of the progression through a teaching sequences
- identify possible uses for Assessment for Writing
No Nonsense Number Facts will introduce staff to the materials, concepts and approaches used in the publication and will cover:
- the principles of teaching and learning underpinning No Nonsense Number facts
- organisation of the resource
- the teaching sessions
- adapting the resource to meet the needs of your children
No Nonsense WebEx training flyer
This flyer provides further details of our No Nonsense WebEx training based on our resources No Nonsense Spelling, Grammar, Literacy and Number Facts.