As all governors and trustees will be aware, keeping children safe in our schools is of the utmost importance, and the Ofsted inspection framework recognises this.
The Governance Team has developed a set of documents for governing boards to use in order to ensure that they are properly fulfilling their strategic role in safeguarding. The governor/trustee role is one of policy and practice, data collection and interpretation and consideration of patterns and trends. This should be followed up by a strategic response to the trends identified, ensuring that staff are properly trained and deployed appropriately at all times; and that they are robustly and systematically fulfilling the duty of the school to keep children safe in line with the school’s safeguarding policies and the Keeping Children Safe in Education Statutory Guidance.
All governors and trustees should read the statutory guidance 'Keeping Children Safe in Education'; all school and college staff should read at least Part One of the guidance. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/keeping-children-safe-in-education--2
We have a range of resources to support boards including:
- Model terms of reference for the safeguarding lead governor and safeguarding deputy governor (available on the terms of reference page, subscriber content)
- A blank data collection sheet for the lead and deputy governors to use when they meet with Designated Safeguarding Leads in school on a termly basis (available on the safeguarding page, subscriber content)
- A data collection sheet with key example questions written in against each area of safeguarding to ensure that the safeguarding lead governors/trustees and the full governing board are interrogating the school’s safeguarding data appropriately and ensuring that the appropriate actions for the school are noted and monitored (available on the safeguarding page, subscriber content)
- Template Single Central Record (SCR), guidance and model SCR (subscriber content)
- Two model policies for the acceptable use of technology; one for pupils and one for staff, (available below and on the policies page)
- Model policy for safeguarding/child protection (available below and on the policies page).
In order to view the subscriber pages and download the resources you will need to register for access.
You will only need to register once, using the registration code which was sent to the school when the Governance Consultancy subscription was purchased; your clerk or the school administrator should have the registration code. If they cannot provide your access code please contact us.
As part of the registration process you will create your own password, which you will be able to use to gain access next time you visit the website. If you have forgotten your password please click on the 'forgotten password' link, the Governance Team are unable to supply passwords.