June 2020 is Pride Month –
Information from the report by Safer Lives (safelives.org.uk) titled ‘Free to be Safe: LGBT+ people experiencing domestic abuse.’ Found that:
- LGBT+ victims of domestic abuse are nearly twice as likely to have attempted suicide.
- LGBT+ victims of domestic abuse are twice as likely to have self-harmed.
- LGBT+ people are more likely to be involved in more than one domestically abusive relationship.
- LGBT+ people are at greater risk of becoming homeless when fleeing a domestically abusive relationship.
It is vital that schools consider LGBT+ relationships when discussing RSE curriculum with their pupils and include support services available for LGBT+ pupils. For further advice and guidance please refer to our OMG – Supporting Transgender Children, which can be found on our website.
There is evidence that referrals into MARAC are low for LGBT+ people, schools should consider threshold for a MARAC when supporting families and submit one if you feel it is appropriate. We have recently published an OMG on MARAC and this can be found on our website.
For more information please click on the links below:
- Intercom Trust - is a lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans community resource in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset. Website
- Stonewall - Have you thought about undertaking the Stonewall School & College Champion Awards? For more information visit their website at: Link
- Broken Rainbow - research into violence against lesbian, bisexual & trans women in the EU. Website
- Galop - LGBT+ anti-violence charity. Website