Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
Organisations that offer support for children with SEND
Home Education Special (Internet-based support organisation for those home educating children with Special Needs)
Click here for more information
The British Dyslexia Association (What is Dyslexia? Is my Child Dyslexic? Should I have my Child Assessed?)
Helpline: 0333 405 4567
Dyslexics Organisation (Dyslexia information plus general help with home education and guidance on literacy teaching)
Click here for more information
Activities offered by Whizz-Kidz:
- Wheelchair Skills Training – Four levels of Wheelchair Skills Training: beginners, intermediate, advanced and complex. They are able to support wheelchair users from the age of 2-25. The training courses are usually delivered over two consecutive days by skilled and experienced trainers who will ensure you receive the best training available. For more information, click here
- Ambassador Clubs - (youth clubs) These clubs are designed for young disabled people, so they can meet up, make friends and have fun! They do everything from music, dance, art, sports, beauty therapy, cooking, trips and a whole lot more. For more information, click here
- Camps - Whizz-Kidz provide three-day, two-night residential camps for disabled young people. Camp Whizz-Kidz is designed for young people aged between 12-25 years old and who use a wheelchair or mobility equipment, or have a physical disability. For more information, click here
- Work Placements – On offer are a range of work placement and internship opportunities that are designed just for young disabled people age 16 to 25 years old. For more information, click here
- Work Skills Days – These are days set up with a corporate partner for young people to learn key skills for the workplace.
For more information contact Sally Ellis: Mobile: 07867 124901 | Email: email@example.com
Apps, Sensory Processing & More website provides information and resources on the following topics:
- Fine motor skills
- Social skills
- Sensory processing
They offer excellent ideas and resources for parents and teachers and tools and worksheets for children.
Torbay Olympic Gymnastics Club
Special Needs Gymnastics and Movement for People with a Disability.
- Saturday morning 9:00-10:00am, this 1 hour class is open to children aged 3-8 years old who have a disability requiring a high level of support. For more information Tel. 01803 317817 or click here to send an email
Sex and relationship education DVDs
These DVDs include titles for learning disabilities and special needs. Each of the SRE resources offers a clear and friendly guide to the central issues using animated characters to narrate and illustrate each topic.
Earlier this year an enhanced version of ‘The Primary Guide’, with optional easy read subtitles and comprehensive lesson plan was released. Now available, the enhanced secondary title ‘The New Guide to Relationships and Sex’ with easy read subtitles and developed an accompanying lesson plan.
These lesson plans are free to download from the website or from the Times Educational Supplement (TES) website resources section by clicking here for the Primary Guide, or for Secondary by clicking here and from www.lifesupportproductions.co.uk