Babcock Staff DBS Letter of Assurance

September 2021

Babcock LDP is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and children. Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and we help to keep children safe by providing guidance, support and training to schools, settings and colleagues.

Our aim is to provide accurate, up to date resources, advice and guidance, in line with national and local regulations in a way that is clear, concise and easily accessible.  We equally seek to learn from the wide range of skilled staff in schools, colleges and education settings who are constantly developing new ways to support children, families and staff in keeping them safe.

If you don't already subscribe to our Safeguarding service and would be interested in finding out more, please contact us at or visit our SHOP for details about our Safeguarding consultancy, subscription packages and training and conferences.


Keeping Children Safe in Education

Working Together to Safeguard Children July 2018

What to do if you're worried a child is being abused March 2015

Information Sharing


Meet the Safeguarding Team

Including contact information for Jon Galling, Lara Stead and Caroline Pinsent

Meet the MASH Team

Including contact information for Hannah Hopson, Kathrin Porter and Susan Langford

Information Sharing guidance from Devon & Cornwall Police

***IMPORTANT info re: County Lines or dangerous drugs networks / CSE / Criminal exploitation / Modern day slavery and/ or human trafficking ******

Dear Colleagues 

We have made life easier for everyone and the Partner Agency Information Sharing form is now ‘live’ on the Devon and Cornwall Police external website. This portal is an easily accessible way for our Partners to share information about Vulnerability and Crime. 

Thank you all very much for your feedback, which has led us to replace the old email system. This wouldn’t have been possible without the support from all our partner agencies to make sharing intelligence easier and more effective. Sharing information between ourselves lawfully is vital, so we can work together to understand the threat and harm to the most vulnerable people, as well as the risk others pose.

Any of your teams who believe a child or adult is vulnerable or being exploited can use this form to provide intelligence or information that they think Devon and Cornwall Police should be aware of. If you’ve witnessed something that could be relevant to vulnerability or exploitation do not ignore it, please report it. Intelligence submitted via this form could include a variety of points such as; information about a concerning incident, suspicious activity, an unusual exchange between two or more people or something that makes you feel uncomfortable.

When supplying information please provide as much detail as possible. (Full names, addresses and dates of birth whenever known, descriptions, vehicle registration details, telephone numbers). Anything that can assist the police in identifying the people and places involved or developing the information further. Indeed if you know the identity of the person (s) or place please ensure that is included to make our response as effective as possible.

In most cases we won’t be able to give updates on what has happened with the submissions however with the new portal we will be able to provide Partners with data on numbers and types of submissions from their organisations which I know many of you wanted. Crucially all of the data used will be included in the profiles we share with you around Organised crime and Vulnerability.

Please remember that this isn’t a referral form and does not replace any pre-existing referral or statutory safeguarding procedures. Always call 999 if there is an emergency, a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened. 

You can access the form here. 

The Children’s Society have created a guide to intelligence which some may find useful.

Thank you for all your support
DCI Jon Bancroft

International Students Guidance For Schools


  1. Introduction

A couple of years ago the Boarding Schools Association (BSA) was alerted by the Home Office to the dangers of some unscrupulous agents using Boarding Schools as a means of trafficking young people into the UK for sexual exploitation. Schools were advised to take particular care, especially when dealing with agents with whom they were not familiar. The BSA are planning to launching an accredited agent scheme as part of their response to this but have not issued any specific guidance to members.

The rules governing international students are contained within guidance issued by the Home Office and this should be read alongside the DfE guidance ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ September 2019. All education providers must be licensed (‘Tier 4’ arrangements)to take international students and this Licence can be revoked if they fail meet statutory requirements. Tier 4 Sponsor Guidance, which sets out the requirements for education providers wishing to apply for, and hold, a licence can be found by following the link at the bottom of Appendix 1.

Once an international student is in this country it is incumbent on the school or college to know where they are, where they are going, who they are with and have permission to travel, at all times, until they leave the country. Following an incident involving an international student on roll at a Devon School the Devon Children & Family Partnership is issuing safeguarding guidance to all schools and colleges who accept students from overseas on to their roll.  

  1. The use of Agents

The majority of schools and colleges only use the services of agents with whom they already have an established relationship.  Schools and colleges should be wary of any unsolicited approaches from overseas agents who are unknown to them.  An internet check alone to establish whether or not they are bona fide is insufficient. Schools should only accept a new agent if they have met them or, at the very least, spoken with them using Skype. In addition they should request references and ask the police to carry out checks. If they have any concerns about an agent they should notify the police.

  1. Guardians

Schools and colleges can either use the services of a Guardianship Company or individual guardians (who are often relatives or close family friends of the child/young person). Guardianship Companies ensure that individuals they employ have undergone the relevant checks (DBS). Private guardians should only be nominated by the child’s parents or carers and not by the agent. If a relative or close family friend is hosting a child or young person the school should have regular conversations with the child/young person to ensure they are safe and being well looked after. The schools should also maintain regular contact with both the guardian and the parents/carers in order to establish an ongoing relationship with them.

  1. School holidays

Before the child or young person leaves the school or college site, the school or college should speak to the guardian and, if the child won’t be staying with that person, the person with whom they will be staying. You should check with the parents or carers that the child has their permission to go there and establish their relationship with the child, if any. You must also confirm the address and the time at which the child will arrive at the address. You should also agree a plan with the parents and guardian about what would happen if the child fails to arrive or if transport arrangements are disrupted (for example, the train or flight is delayed). If the child subsequently leaves the address the guardian must inform the school or college of the child’s onward destination and confirm arrival at that address.

  1. Safeguarding responsibilities

Schools and colleges should make clear in all contracts with parents, agents and Guardians that they have a safeguarding responsibility. At any time in the process of contact with any of these people or if the child goes missing, the school or college should notify the police, using the Partnership Information Form, and children’s social care, if there are any concerns for the safety and wellbeing of the child. Unless and until the child has returned to their home country, the school or college has a safeguarding responsibility towards them and must discharge this in accordance with statutory guidance and the law, irrespective of whether the school or college is in receipt of fees and/or the child is on the school or college roll.

Appendix 1: Tier 4 requirements (extracts from the guidance)

Tier 4: Age requirements and child welfare.

Tier 4 (General) Applicants must be at least 16 years of age. 
Tier 4 (Child) Applicants must be: 

  • at least 4 years old 
  • under the age of 18

If the Tier 4 (General) or Tier 4 (Child) applicant does not meet the age requirement, you must refuse their application.

Safeguarding/child welfare

Under Section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009, the Home Office and all its members of staff have a duty to safeguard and promote child welfare. The definition of children includes all students under the age of 18. Arrangements for the student’s care and accommodation in the UK must comply with UK legislation and inspection regulations. 

  • Accommodation of students under 18 by further education colleges: national minimum standards and inspection regulations Page 54 of 153 Published for Home Office staff on 10 January 2019 
  • Boarding schools: national minimum standards, inspection regulations 
  • Residential special schools: national minimum standards, inspection regulations

Parental Support for under 18's on Tier 4

Tier 4 (Child) students and Tier 4 (General) students who are under the age of 18 must have their application supported by their parents or legal guardian. You must ensure the letter from their parent or legal guardian: 

  • confirms the relationship between the parent or legal guardian and the child 
  • confirms that the parent or legal guardian consents to the application 
  • confirms that the parent or legal guardian consents to the child’s living arrangements in the UK 
  • is signed by both parents or legal guardians, or just one parent or guardian if they have sole responsibility for the child 

Private foster care or care from a close relative 

Students must show that they have suitable arrangements in place for their care if they will be living: 

  • with a resident British citizen or other settled UK resident who is a close relative 
  • in a private foster care arrangement. An applicant must provide a written undertaking from the intended carer confirming the care arrangement. You must ensure this includes: 
    • the intended carer’s name, current address and contact details 
    • the address where the carer and the child will be living in the UK, if different from the intended carer’s current address 
    • confirmation that the accommodation offered to the child is a private address, and not operated as a commercial enterprise, like a hotel or a youth hostel
    • confirmation that the intended carer has at least £570 per month to look after and accommodate the Tier 4 (Child) student for the length of the course 
    • the nature of the relationship between the child’s parent or legal guardian and the intended carer 
    • that the intended carer agrees to the care arrangements for the child 
    • the signature and date of the undertaking You must check that the intended carer is settled in the UK. They must provide proof, which must be either their carer’s: 
    • current UK or European Union passport 
    • current passport or travel document to confirm they are settled in the UK 
    • certificate of naturalisation. Tier 4 (Child) applicants who are living with a carer must also provide a letter from their parent or legal guardian. 

You must check that the letter confirms: 

  • the nature of the relationship between the child’s parents or legal guardian and the intended carer 
  • the address where the carer and the child will be living in the UK
  • that the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) authorise the carer to take responsibility for the care of the child during their stay in the UK If a student is living with a close relative, no other documentation is required. 

Close relatives 

A close relative, parent or legal guardian caring for the child is not considered to be a private foster carer and so will not need to register with a UK local authority. 
A close relative is a person aged 18 or over who is the child’s: 

  • grandparent
  • brother
  • sister 
  • step-parent
  • uncle (the brother or half-brother of the child’s parent)
  • aunt (the sister or half-sister of the child’s parent) 

Private foster care

Children under 16 years old (or under 18 years old if disabled) are privately fostered when they are cared for on a full-time basis for more than 28 days by adults, who are not their parents, legal guardians or a close relative. It is the responsibility of the parent, carer, and anyone else involved in making the private fostering arrangement, including the Tier 4 (Child) sponsor, to notify their UK local authority of the private fostering arrangement.

In the UK, local authorities are responsible for safeguarding and protecting children. They must make sure private foster carers are suitable and they get any support and guidance that they may need to help them care for the child. If a Tier 4 (Child) is staying in a private foster care arrangement, they must receive permission from the private foster carer’s UK local authority. This is explained in Children (Private Arrangements for Fostering) Regulations 2005. You must check that a child student who is staying in a private foster care arrangement has provided: 

  • a copy of the letter of notification from the child’s parent, legal guardian or intended carer to the UK local authority. This must confirm the child will be in the care of a private foster carer while in the UK - for more information on what the letter of notification must contain, see schedule 1 of Children (Private Arrangements for Fostering) Regulations 2005
  • the UK local authority’s confirmation of receipt: this must confirm that the local authority has received notification of the foster care arrangement.

Tier 4 of the Points Based System: Guidance for Sponsors

Stay Informed

Sign up to our Safeguarding mailing list to receive our Keeping Children Safe bulletin


Thank you for the help and support you gave me recently in regard to one of our pupils.  As always you took time to listen to my concerns and put me in touch with one of your colleagues in Social Services who gave me some very helpful advice and guidance with what was a very complex situation. Having acted on that advice the family in question was able to understand the problems the child was facing and we were able to find a positive way forward for all concerned.

As the DSO for Safeguarding for the School I am increasingly dealing with complex family situations.  It is a great comfort knowing that I can call upon you and others members of your team for support and advice. You always take time to listen to any concerns I may have and it is invaluable being able to call upon your experience and knowledge in so many child protection issues. 

Head of Blundell's Prep School

Feedback following support provided by our Safeguarding team

Find out more about Safeguarding
Scroll to top